Sunday, August 16, 2009

Family Reunion

Today Gary and I went to Quitman, Ga. for a family reunion. I wasn't really looking forward to it, because these type of things really are not my cup of tea. However, Gary really wanted to go, so we did. He got to see many cousins he hasn't seen in years and years. I met many people I never even knew existed. Most of them I can't even remember how they are connected. But it was an enjoyable time. Wylene, one of the cousins where it was held and her daughter did a great job putting on a great meal and had plenty of space for everyone to be. She had a water slide and bouncing thingy for the kids, plus her large pool. The kids were having a great time. We heard lots of stories about family stuff. I found it quite interesting even though I didn't know who they were talking about most of the time. I don't have any pictures, because I really didn't know who to take them of. And would I know who they were anyway? So I figure they can post their pictures on FB and maybe I will see who they all were. This is the 2nd time we have gone up there. We first went up shortly after Gary found Wylene on FB. She is really cool. She is a very fiesty fun person, and I know I would like to get to know her better. Everyone I met was really nice and it was neat to know that we have a lot of family in a round about way. So, now we are back home and I am glad we went. Sometimes I just have to let Gary have his way and sometimes (sometimes) it turns out ok. This is one of those times. I do know one thing. Having grown up in California, people in Georgia grew up quite different than I did. Not that one is better than the other, it is just different. This is family on his moms side. Yesterday we attended a 50th anniversary from family on his dads side. Both large families and most still live pretty close to each other. Whereas my family is spread from one end of the U.S. to the other.
One of his cousins shares my same name with the same spelling. That is pretty unusual too. I liked reconnecting with her and her sister. I actually had met them over 30 years ago, but who remembered that? Well, I am rattling on, so will stop. It was an enjoyable day and I am glad I was a part of it.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Up here in the Tundra, I notice (especially in the town where we live), many families do not move away. The grandparents are at all the sports and school events and get together often (but not too much!). They seem to know the balance. I wish that for my family as they grow, but know it's probably not likely, but it's always good to hear about places where it's still like that.

Glad that you enjoyed it - there's been many an event Cary has dragged me too and I ended up very happy I went.

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Glad you decided to go - Wylene and Ilene, I don't know but that just sounds like a fiesty combination of women!! :)